Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Shepherding by Example

In the Gospel of John, chapter 10, we read these words of Jesus:

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. … I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. [John 10: 11. 14-15 (ESV)]

We in the Church, especially those of us called to be shepherds (including counselors, and—of course—pastors), must surely look to this passage, maybe chief among others, for clues about what it means to be a shepherd. [Jesus did not say I am the Good King, I am the Good Prophet, I am the Good Priest, though he was all of those.] A shepherd lays down his life. A shepherd knows his sheep. A shepherd is known by the sheep. If we are to shepherd—to rule by shepherding, lead by shepherding, oversee by shepherding—we must lay down our lives for the sheep. We must know our sheep and be known.

(These paragraphs are part of an essay Five Words. As always, comments and discussion welcome.)

2 comments:

Roger and OUT said...

As usual, Fred, you are on the mark.

Fred Avolio said...

Well, I am hoping to hear from others who don't agree. As I wrote, it seems pretty obvious that shepherds should use this as a model. If that is not the case, I want to be educated.