My son, Joe, clued me into The Fray's song "You Found Me." The band played it (just the instrumental) a few Sundays ago during the offering in the second service. I really enjoyed the music and was intrigued by the lyrics. I have no idea if any of the band are Christian, but, "You Found Me," expresses the frustration I think everyone—believer and unbeliever—sometimes has with God. It was reminiscent of the struggles Job had (in the book of the Bible that bears his name).
The singer finds God in a unexpected place, in an unexpected form. In the song, the singer dresses God down. "Where you been? Why'd You have to wait, where were You?" You are late, God!
Have you never questioned God? (I have.) Sometimes, we are nice about it. "I'm not angry at God. I just want to know 'Why?'" or "I just want to know 'How long?'" In the song, the only words God speaks are, "Ask anything."
In the accusations God never defends Himself. He doesn't ever have to. Even in the singer's accusations, it is interesting that he gets it right. The song is called "You Found Me," not "I found You." God found him when he was lost, when he was grieving the loss of a loved one. The singer is speaking from his heart, and therefore, some of what he speaks are lies. In our sadness or anger, I suspect we all question God and if not His abilities, we question His motives or His love.
God doesn't give answer. He is God. He doesn't have to. God can take it. In fact, He already did.
If you go to their website, http://blog.thefray.net/, the music video for "You Found Me," will probably start up (at least close to the day I post this), but you can find it on http://blog.thefray.net/us/music their music page and the lyrics at http://blog.thefray.net/us/music/fray/you-found-me
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment