Sunday, May 17, 2009

Brain Dump

As Wikipedia says (here) "In computing, a core dump consists of the recorded state of the working memory of a computer program at a specific time, generally when the program has terminated abnormally (crashed)." I call this a Brain Dump, not because I am about to crash (I hope not, anyway) but because I have a lot of things on my mind I have been saving up. And this is not even all of it.

It has been a while since I have posted anything. I just finished my first class (Theological Anthropology) in my first semester at Loyola College in the MS in Pastoral Counseling degree program. I have just started a second class—Family Therapy— and will take Helping Relationships late in June.

Recently, I've been laid low by satanic accusations. I went through a time when all I could think of was my failures in my relationships at home, especially with my children. Songs on the radio, places I drove by, photos, all brought failures to mind and with those thoughts, a voice of accusation.

Why do I say "satanic?" First, I made it lower case, because I am characterizing its nature, not its direct source. Also, because, Satan is the accuser. One meaning of the Hebrew word means just that. He is seen as accuser in Job 1:7, Zechariah 3, and Revelation 12:10.

Conversely, the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin. He always points out our sin to point us to the cross. Scripture tells us, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1.) So, what do I do? As Pastor Mike, mentioning Martin Luther's statement (" Therefore it is indeed necessary to preach this Gospel in our times to those who now know the Gospel as myself and those like me, who imagine they can teach and govern the whole world ..."), I preach the Gospel to myself and hang out with brothers who will remind me of what I know to be true. Then I hang on through the darkness, until it passes.

Pastor Mike also mentioned this morning that he "Tweeted" some "Great resource(s) on the gospel." Since some of you don't use Twitter, I am pointing you to this City Church of San Fancisco blog entry and The Centrality of the Gospel by Tim Keller.

Some of you are struggling in your marriages. I should say, some of us are, as the marriage relationship is always a point of tension in our lives, a relationship that God often (always?) uses as His holy Refiner's fire. I recently listened to two sermons given by Mark Driscole at Mars Hill Church in Seattle. Both are in the "Trial" sermon series (which is why in the videos he is sitting behind a judges bench). It is a series on 1 and 2 Peter. I commend to your listening two sermons. Marriage and Women and Marriage and Men. The URLs point to pages with audio and video downloads. I'd love for all of you to listen to each. I recommend that you each listen to what you thing God is saying to you rather than to your spouse in each sermon, then pray about it, and then discuss with your spouse (again, what you think God is saying to you).

Also, Mars Hill Church in Seattle has an excellent page with recommended reading in the areas of theology, biblical counseling, the Church, apologetics, marriage and family, spiritual growth and Bible study, and other topics.

I know. I know. You don't have time for that stuff. So, finally, I commend to your reading CJ Mahaney on Biblical Productivity.

No comments: